History of Newburyport Society
Relief of Aged Woman
In 1835, a small group of concerned women established a fund to aid local women aged 60 and older who were facing financial difficulty, thus founding the Newburyport Society for the Relief of Aged Women.
Upon her death in 1887, Mrs. Anna Wheelwright bequeathed her home at 75 High Street to the Society. During the next 125 years, the Wheelwright House provided a home to thirteen women in need.
Over time, the Wheelwright House required increasingly costly maintenance and updates. This threatened to deplete the Society's resources and placed at risk its ability to continue to serve Newburyport area women in need.
In 2006, with an eye toward the future, the Board Of Directors sold the Wheelwright House. They invested the proceeds in order to expand the Society's reach and serve a greater number of Newburyport area women, safeguarding NSRAW's mission for many years to come.
Following the closing of the Wheelwright House, the Board of Directors established a plan to fulfill its Mission by using its resources to serve a greater number of older women (age 60 and above) in need in Newburyport, Newbury and Salisbury. It now solicits applications for aid from individuals to meet critical needs such as health care, utility assistance, rent, food vouchers as well as emergency assistance for unexpected bills.